Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

21st century notebook for

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkat

Technical User
Mar 9, 2002
US
I have been battling with 850 and 860 notebooks and I really
bummed out. Accordingly, I have decided to make my own. My background includes 30 years of hard core electronics and switching power supplies, packaging, etc etc etc.
My first project will be stuffing a 43p-140 into my own custon aluminum case with surplus parts like thinkpad keyboard, room for 3 thinkpad batteries, cd, floppy, and 60 gig of internal scsi using a scsi-ide converter and the latest notebook 2.5 inch ide/ata5 drive. This will be capable of AIX 5, but not be a 64 bit processor. However, it will enable the use of a 332 risc processor, and will pretty much use standard parts from surplus used equipment.
It will have an 18 inch tft screen on a flip-up hinge, and work and look just like a regular notebook. I will have to design and build custon cables in order to stuff all this in the box. The final size is tbd, and I guess the weight
will not exceed 15 lbs with 3 batteries (standard thinkpad kind, standard charger system, etc. The final unit will fit in a standard briefcase. This will make life a lot easier than having to lug a box, keyboard, mouse, screen
(even tft), all the cables, find a place to spread it out, crawl on the floor hooking things up, and so so, just to do a sales presentation, or show the toolmaker what a cad designed part looks like. I will design and build a switcher power supply which will be very efficient, and reliable. My past work in power supplies achieved a packaging power density of over 300 watts per cubic inch
for a large system (i megawatt), and in excess of 100 watts per cubic inch for aircraft applications (Boeing).
When I am done with that, I will move up the food chain and do a 150 custon notebook.
It occurs to me that there may be others out there who would have a use for this kind of setup, and if you are interested, my e-mail is tkasmer@yahoo.com enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back