Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

20mA current loop serial comms ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dazmac

Programmer
Nov 5, 2001
GB
I am running a network of industrial weighing machines connected to a Data Capture package on a PC via a 10 way buffering port and into the PC's serial port. These machines output data with the intention of it being sent to a printer by way of RS232 serial comms.
My problem is that one of our older machines outputs to a printer using &quot;20mA current loop&quot; serial comms. This is an apparently ancient but very robust data transmission protocol. Some old dot matrix printers accomodate this standard but the buffering unit does not. Is there a way of converting 20mA current loop to RS 232 ? >:-<

Black Box has converters. Think you can also get them from JDR. Go by the name of line drivers and basically convert voltage swings +/- 12v to current flow in alternating directions in step with the input voltage swing. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back