Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2012 SQL Express and ASP application

Status
Not open for further replies.

clmp

Programmer
Apr 17, 2002
US
Currently our company has an ASP application using an SQL 2005 Enterprise edition database. We are in need of a new server and are debating about whether 2012 SQL Express(since it is free) will work with our ASP code. Our database is currently 6GB in size and I think the limit on Express is 10GB. My bigger concern is speed of queries and data retreival using Express. Anyone have any experience with downsizing to Express?

I guess it would depend on how complex your queries are and how much CPU power/memory you need. The Express versions are limited to the "lesser of 1 Socket or 4 cores"

Here's a Link to the SQL Server version comparison chart.

Mark

"You guys pair up in groups of three, then line up in a circle."
- Bill Peterson, a Florida State football coach

I have reviewed the link you sent but my knowledge of SQL does not go that deep. Currently we have a 4GB memory server. The queries are somewhat complex. One of the more labor intensive reports takes about 20 seconds to paint the screen. How do I know where to find information on my current server about the sockets and cores?

It may be better to post your question in forum183. There are a few folks there that know way more about SQL Server than I do...

Mark

"You guys pair up in groups of three, then line up in a circle."
- Bill Peterson, a Florida State football coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back