Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

200Gb hard drive, files corrupted - dont know why?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

l9nux

Technical User
May 14, 2002
GB
Hi,

I'm hoping somebody can help me out. I recently bought a 200Gb Maxtor (7200rpm) hard drive for a huge collection of MP3s, and my movie collection. I had around 110Gb on there in total.

The day after xmas (typical), I couldn't access one of the folders across the network. It's probably worth mentioning that the 200Gb drive is in a server which is on 24/7 on my home LAN. I logged onto the server (Windows 2000), and found that I couldn't access 75% of files/folders on the server, as I got an error saying that the file/folder is corrupted.

I rebooted and it ran a scandisk then started listing:

Deleting orphan file 1234 (and so on until it reached 50000 or something).

This took 40 mins then it said it was recovering the orphaned files and when it booted into Windows 2000 I had a load of found.000, found.001 folders with recovered data which was only about 10% of it.

Not a good start to the new year, but I have no idea why?

Is the 200Gb Maxtor crap?
Should it not be on 24/7?
Could it be the constant file access as I'm running FTP server as well?

I don't think I was hacked as I'm running a pretty well configured firewall and have up to date anti-virus software. But any comments from anyone about this would be much apreciated!

Thanks.

Le's start from the very basic you mention that you have a antivirus is up today also try for spywares...Did you setup any security pilicies or anything ....

Also if you can describe more the way you had your network setup that will be helpfull

Same thing JUST happened to me - 8 days of 1200dpi wedding picture scans - irreplaceable! Need these files recovered.

I am running:
Abit IT7-Max2 v1
Intel Pentium 4 2.4GHz
512MB
Seagate Cheetah 15K 18GB U320 SCSI Drive (OS drive)
WD 200GB 7200RPM 8MB cache (Data drive)

This happened after an OS reinstall prior to any antivirus software running. My computer was clean from viruses just prior to the reinstall and unless a virus came from Windows Update, I had not downloaded anything risky.

Anyone else have this happen? Know a fix?

In addition Win2k recognizes my 200 GB drive as only 128GB.

Thanks!!!!!

Using 48-bit Logical Block Addressing (LBA) support (per ATA/ATAPI-6) permits hard disks to be larger than 137 gigabytes (GB) in size.

begeland It sounds like You might need an update to your BIOS' so that it recognises beyond the 128/137Gb limit.

This link might help getting data back.

And this link will tell you about the update that windows requires for 48bit addressing.

---------------
Johnodq
---------------
Please let me know if the advice I give is of help.
Feedback will benefit all

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I found what caused my problem... overheating...

My 200Gb drive was in my server which has no additional cooling. It was VERY hot to touch, you could fry an egg on it!!

I then installed the 200Gb drive in my other PC which has a big 8cm fan on the front, and 2 smaller fans at the rear of the case... nice and cool with all that air flowing across the hard drive...

Since December when I posted my original post, it's been fine! and the hard drive is barely warm!!

I did loose all my data though, I even tried Easy Recovery Pro, didn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back