Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2008R2 Hyper-V VM and Internet Explorer 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoratti

Technical User
Aug 11, 2005
US
At our organization, we have a Hyper-V VM server W2K8R2 64-bit SP1 with dynamic memory set at 5GB min up to 16GB. At no specific time frame, we'll get calls of our users sessions locking up. During each time of session and server lock up, we'll have no more than about 7-8 user sessions on that VM,(10-12 max).

Inside the Hyper-V manager we'll see the assigned memory balloon to the max 16GB memory allocated. Sometimes we're not even able to log into the server and we simply have to reset b/c we can't even shut it down from the console.

When we ARE able to look at memory consumption once on the server, we'll see that IE is using up a lot of the memory b/c of the different process and memory slices IE implemented for each tab opened. The more tabs, the more memory and cpu slice.

In theory, in my mind that seems to be what is eating up all the memory, but I can't see how that would be possible to happen under hyper-v, that essentially 7-8 users could bring down a max 16GB server simply by having multiple tabs open in IE. In our organization, we could have as many as 15-20 on this server at any time. It's only normal to have at LEAST 4 tabs open at once.

I'd like to know what measures can be done to keep this issue contained and / or fixed, if this is actually what's causing the sessions and server to freeze. At this time I'm trying to gather information to find out what our users are doing in IE.

Has anyone run into this issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back