Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2008 Print server/2003&XP Clients - HP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

snootalope

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2001
US
I'm in the process of testing a migration for our domain from 2k3 to 2k8. Currently working on printers and the print server for the domain. Going through HP printers we have and setting them up on the 2k8 box and testing.

Everything's been fine till I get to our HP LaserJet 4050 printers. The HP site has the drivers for 2k8 as "universal" drivers. Ok. Downloaded and installed....Looks to be ok on the 2k8 box, but when I try to connect via x86 clients or install the x86 drivers that I currently have for 2003/XP boxes no go:

"The specified location does not contain the driver HP Universal Printing PCL 6 for the requested processor architecture"

I'm assuming the issue is the name in the inf file for the x86 driver as the already installed driver is universal pcl6.

Question is, if HP is putting out universal drivers, does this mean they probably won't have legit 2k8 drivers eventually? I installed a 4200 series on the 2k8 box and I didn't even have to install x86 drivers to connect and print from 2003/xp boxes.

Just wondering if there's a work around from HP on this, or is this going to require changing inf files and what not?

Thanks...

I talked to a rep from HP last week because I was having a similar issue. I was told that the only printer HP makes that is compatible with 2008 Server is the 3015 series. I 'was' planning an upgrade(?) to 2008 server but I'm not so sure right now because I have 10 HP laser printers that will no longer work in the capacity that I am using them now. I hate to have to set up a separate 'older' server to handle printing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back