Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2008 Install - no DVD drive! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttrsux

IS-IT--Management
Jul 28, 2004
US
I downloaded Windows Server 2008 from MSDN. It's too big to fit on a CD, so I burned the ISO onto a DVD. My Server (Poweredge 2650) has a internal CD drive, so that was out of the question. I bought a external USB DVD drive and found out the BIOS doesn't support USB DVDs -- at least I can't figure out how to get BIOS to recognize it, so I'm unable to boot from it. I have BIOS version A21 installed, the latest according to support.dell.com.

Does anyone know how I can get 2008 on my server??!! For how new everything is, I assumed the BIOS would have support for this simple task but the fact that I can't get it to work, after many trial and errors, seems hard to grasp. Any ideas anyone? I looked for an IDE controller on the mobo but nothing. Not surprising for a rack server though, but I had to check.

It should definatley be bootable from the external drive, I would be very surprised if it isn't. I am assuming you have it set as CD/DVD as the first boot device (as it should see the drive as a normal DVD drive not a USB device). Have you tried to unplug the internal CD and just have the external drive connected (I know you need to do this with some HPs to get them to boot off the external drive).

The only other option I could suggest is a. buying an internal DVD or b. install another OS that fits on a CD then run the setup on the external DVD from within windows selecting the option to copy the installation files to the hadrive (I assume this opition is still available in 2008)

Adrian Paris

Paris Engineering Ltd

Google search of just tech forums & articles
(very useful, honest!)

Have you updated the Bios on the system? I have experienced bios updates that will enable boot from usb drives.

I have the same problem on an ancient 2450 server (LOL). Going to try out a network install.

Thanks for the reply baddos. ALOT better than just telling me I have an old server. I didn't even think of a network boot. Too bad the server is already in the colo with 2003

:*(

Uh...

Insert the Windows 2008 DVD while you are in your current Windows OS environment. You can do the install from there. No need to boot to the disk. This type of install will render your current OS inoperable, but it will preserve the file/folder structure of your current OS drive letter.

This all assumes you have an OS installed on the server.

would it not be easy to just buy a internal dvd and fit, they are V cheap these days...

[cannon] [worm]
"Practice makes Perfect"
("la pratique rend parfait")
CPO rt'd RN

If it's an ISO image, just extract it onto your server and do what "DigitalCandy" said.

I did an install on my laptop from within XP from the extracted ISO. You can't upgrade but you can keep your old directory structure provided that's what you want to do.

I took an out of date laptop DVD drive and replaced the cd rom on my PE2650. The small server cd/dvd drives are no different than laptop drives.

Wow, that I have to try. Thanks BridgeRE. On the second server I did what DigitalCandy said. Unfortunately though, Dell likes to make the C partition a measly 12GB, so before I began the 2008 install, I had to image the 12GB OS partition with Acronis, copy that to a network drive, wipe out the OS RAID container and combine C and E partitions to one big 32GB C and push the image back to the server. THEN copy 2008 to the server, extract, and install. :S

I've not tried it but I think Dell's DRAC's let you capture an ISO and pretend its the physical drive for installing through the "virtual console"

ML

My recommendations (and I may be repeating some of the information others have said).

1. Replace the internal drive. That's a laptop style CD drive. You should be able to replace it with a laptop style DVD drive. Reference:
2. Get an OS on it first (2003 Server), then upgrade it. I have not tested this, but you should be able to copy the contents of the DVD to a folder on the system and run setup from there.

-Lee

Those who ask why, learn

You could also use Windows PE to load the system. Windows PE is a light weight version of Windows Vista. Once you boot the server to Windows PE, you can then map a drive to a network share and run Windows 2008 setup from there. Windows PE fits on a CD, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Not sure how familiar you are with Windows PE, but the Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK 1.1) comes with a standard version of Windows PE.

Also, just a heads up...there is no GUI in Windows PE. It's mostly command line based.

Dave Namou, MCSE CCEA

Was this ever resolved? I know some of the newer Dells will boot from USB, but you have to set some setting in the boot option so that the USB thumbdrive shows up as a cd-rom drive. I'm not near a server that I can reboot right now, but wanted to check on this.

Pat Richard
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Contributing author Microsoft Exchange Server 2007: The Complete Reference

Nope, never got it to recognize the USB DVD drive in any of the USB ports. I know what setting you're talking about in the BIOS but it didn't work like I expected (even double-checked I had newest BIOS).

I found a better work around. I am simply going to require DVD ROMS in our customers new servers. The amount of work needed to get a server OS on a server just seems rediculous, especially when all I get is a half-assed "thanks" from the customer. Comes with the job though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back