Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2008 domain upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lordmathos

IS-IT--Management
Oct 21, 2005
GB
Hi I am currently perfoming a test migration from 2003 r2 to 2008 r2.

I have preped the ad schema and forest, installed 2008 r2 with ad ds and have transfered all the fsmo roles to the new 2008 r2 domain controller but when I run dcpromo on the 2003 r2 server to remove active directory I keep on getting the error message:

The operation failed because:

Active directory could not transfer the remaining data in the directory partition Dc=ForestDnsZones,DC=testdomain,DC=Local to domain controller \\newdc.testdomain.local

"The directory service was unable to transfer ownership of one or more floating single-master operation roles to other servers."

any ideas before i go any further?

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.

well one of the roles has not transfered, you need to check which one hasnt gone over....

type on a dc

netdom query /domain:"domainname" FSMO

Allen White MCSE,MCSA,MCITP,MCTS,CCA,CCSP,VCP

Just tried that and all the fsmo rules have been transfered from the old 2003 dc

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.

schema master
domain naming master
pdc
rid pool master
infrastructure master

I have removed the global catalogue role from the old dc already

have made the new server the gc as well

Test your new DC by unplugging your old one for a few hours. If all good and your 100% sure the roles are on the new box then DCPROMO /Forceremove on the old box with the NIC unplugged.

On your new server run NTDSUTIL and run a metadata cleanup.

Check DNS too!!

Steve.

"They have the internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back