Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2003 with NT4

Status
Not open for further replies.

kings23

MIS
Sep 5, 2002
US
Two sites using NT4 now. Can I add a seperate 2003 domain with a DC at each site and configure new users, new DNS/WINS, and new DHCP schema without affecting the NT4 domain and authentication?

I may phase out NT4 after testing or possibly keep it running along with 2003. Should the 2003 domain have a differnt subnet mask or can it use the same as NT? Will 2003 domain have to run in a mixed mode or can I run it native if they don't need to communicate?

Thanks

You can run separate domains on the same network without issues, though I don't recommed it. The problem that I see here is DHCP. Once Active it will lease addresses to any DHCP client and will register DNS (depending on configuration). Plus your scope options (depending on configuration) will point NT DHCP clients to WINS and DNS in your AD.

I already have different scope mappings configured on the two Cisco 1700 series routers that connect the two sites. For example, NT is using 192.168.1.1 and 2.1 scope and I've added .3.1 and .4.1 to use as a new scope for another domain. Will this scenario work or do I still have the potential to create problems?

It depends on the router configuration. If your subnets for 3.1 and 4.1 do not allow DCHP broadcast to travers the router(ip helper(cisco)) then you would not have to worry about the DHCP server in 1.1 or 2.1 receiving requests from clients on 3.1 and 4.1 and vice versa. There also may be a way to use ip helper address so that you can manage DHCP requests. Only allowing 1.1 and 2.1 to broadcast to the address NT DHCP and 3.1 and 4.1 to broadcast to the address of you ADDHCP. This is only a theory as I am not a cisco engineer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back