Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2003 Server Service Pack 1 causes BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbo79

IS-IT--Management
Nov 27, 2006
GB
This is driving me insane.

I'm trying to install Exchange Server 2005 Enterprise Edition on SBS 2003. To do this I need to upgrade SBS to Service Pack 1, which in turn requires me to install 2003 Server Service Pack 1 as per the instructions on Microsoft's website.

Every time I install 2003 Server Service Pack 1 I get the following BSOD on startup:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA

STOP: 0x00000050

(no files or drivers are referenced).

Googling <<"page_fault_in_non_paged_area" "2003 server" service pack 1>> brings up about 32 results, none of which are any help.

I'm trying to install this on a Dell Poweredge 1600SC. There doesn't seem to be anything installed that would cause an issue. Has anyone come across this or, better still, know how to resolve it?

Groan, that should have been SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition on SBS 2003 Enterprise Edition (I hate Monday mornings).

Anyway, the issue I need to resolve is installing 2003 Server SP1 before I install SQL Server.

Thanks for that TechSoEasy.

I went to the Microsoft site for the hotfix, and after calling them I was told the problem would not be resolved by the hotfix and was then directed toward Dell, as the operating system came pre-installed on the server. After contacting Dell support I received an email from one of their technicians, basically saying it was a very generic problem, that it could be caused by any number of things and he suggested I take a look at the release notes for SBS Server SP1 (in other words, no help at all - I was trying to install 2003 Server SP1).

After doing a bit of Googling I found an article in the Microsoft knowledge base - it was for SAN-based systems but the error was identical. It mentioned problems with page file latency, so I thought I'd take a look at the page file settings on the server. It was set to reside on a separate partition to the system partition. I changed the setting to allow the system to allocate the page file. I reinstalled Windows Server 2003 SP1 and, lo and behold, it rebooted fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back