Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2003 server patch server configuration questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

wags2272

Technical User
Jun 3, 2005
US
I have need to setup a windows 2003 server to act as a patch server for a closed network. Here are some questions I have in doing it:

1) What services/software do I need to install on the server to be able to push/pull patches to the clients?

2) How do I get the patches to the server if I'm unable to have it go online to Microsoft and download them?

3) Is it possible to dual-nic the server and allow it to download patches from another server and push them out to my clients without collusion of the two networks?

4) What kind of hardware would I need if this is all the server would be doing?

That is all.
JW

There are several solutions for this, but the Microsoft solution is to use WSUS - Windows Server Update Services. It's a free download - just google "WSUS download". I'm not positive, but there may be a way to download the patches and incorporate them into the system without an internet connection. Otherwise, you can setup a second server that actually downloads the updates and then have the one off the internet connect to a multi-homed system to download the patches from it.

-Lee

Those who ask why, learn

1) WSUS is a good option for this.

2) You can point a WSUS server to download it's updates from a Microsoft server, another server in your network or you can use an option where-by you download the updates on any internet connected PC and burn the files to CD which the WSUS server can then use.

3) You could dual NIC the server and utilise a firewall to block communication between the two networks.

4) I don't think the system requirements are all that big for WSUS. You need enough disk capacity to store all of the approved downloads and decent network connectivity but a basic server should do the job.

Here's some more information that's worth reading first
Steve G (MCSE / MCSA:Messaging)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back