Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2003 server network share and outlook denied access

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxcolmer25

Technical User
Dec 5, 2002
IE
Hi

we are experiencing avery strange problem with our remote users when they try to access existing network drives or open outlook when using VPN.

we have a sonicwall 2040 pro standard os and RSA securID for authentication. VPN users connect to the sonicwall WAN IP, get authenticated by RSA and then get DHCP address from internal DHCP server.

Now the remote user is connected, it is possible to ping the file server by IP, netBIOS and, FQDN without a problem. when the user goes into my computer and trys to open a network share, after a minute an error comes back saying that: "the specified network name is no longer available" or "microsoft windows network, the local device name is already in use"

If you disconnect the shared drive and recreate it, it will create the drive and it is visible in my computer. Its only when you go to access it is when you get denied access to folder.

It is also possible to map a drive at command prompt using the net use \\server\share command. again it appears in my comp but no access into it.

This is happening with all existing shares on this server. If you create a new folder on the server and share it, the user can successfully open it and browse its content.

the other problem is when trying to open outlook, it starts tolaunche the program and eventually comes back saying that network problems are preventing the program from opening. Yes i have a continious ping to the mail server? If you go into the properties of outlook and check, all details are correct and it is possible to resolve the username.

We have throughly checked all WINS, DNS and Netbios on server and client and all is ok.

The strange bit is that if you disconnect the vpn and straight away plug in the laptop into the LAN, everything works 100%

Our domain is 2003. I am guessing that there is some windows auth not filtering through when connected by VPN.

I have removed RSA authentication to eliminate it.

I am really stuck at this stage,

any ideas much appreciated

Max

I am having the exact problem but with a Windows NT 4.0 server. I can also connect to other computers across the VPN and see their shared folders and files. When I connect to the server it never shows up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back