Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2003 on ML530 G1 What smartstart version?`

Status
Not open for further replies.

channonkatt

IS-IT--Management
Jan 30, 2007
US
I have an ML530 G1 that I am retasking and rebuilding. I have a copy of 2003 server that I want to install on it and am wondering what version of smartstart will work with both the ML530 and support installation of 2003 server?

Anyone know?

thanks

I thought the ML530 G1 server only supported SmartStart v5.5 which doesn't support a Windows 2003 installation. However the HP website offers SmartStart v7.70 as a download on the ML530 G1 website. I am slightly dubious about this as I think that SmartStart v7.70 is for the G2 not the G1.

In any case, if you install SmartStart v5.5 you can still do a manual install of W2K3 by just booting off your W2K3 CD after the SmartStart installation has completed and rebooted.

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"

Sorry, you may need the Array Controller driver on floppy and press F6 when the W2K3 install starts to load the driver if you do it this way.

The W2K3 drivers for the ML530 G1 are here if you need them:

I deployed an ML530 last summer. I am not sure about SmartStart 7.7 but 7.5 had problems. 5.5 worked great. Also download all of the firmware and bios files for your hardware, get things up to date, and then you can install 2003.

Don Phillips

you need 5.5 which is not available for download as compaq didnt write it!

it doesnt support win2003 as such but flash your firmware up to the latest version

IIRC use smartstart to format up the drives and setup your arrays then stop the install before it installs the OS, stick your 2k3 cd in the drive and boot from it ypu can the install 2k3 with no disks required.

once installed download all the 2k3 software from hp.com and you'll be laughing

huh apparently you can download 5.5 now, damn made me pay for it

lol yes you can download v5.5 from the HP website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back