Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2003 & NT 4.0 Domains 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunterfs

Technical User
Jan 22, 2003
US
All,

Does anyone have any information on the pitfalls or security issues concerning integartion of Windows 2003 server and Windows NT 4.0 server domain. I have a client who wishes to continue to use there older nt 4.0 domain structure and plans to add the new 2003 server to this environment. Outside of the fact that support has gone away and your flexibility is limited can anyone add additional ammunition for not continuing to build your network around this model.

Thanks in advance,
hunterfs

hunterfs

I wanted to do the exact same thing. I wanted a 2003 BDC on an NT4 domain. After much bad advice "It's easy" I found that there is very little "Intergration" between 2003 and NT4 domains. It is alledged that you can run them together but this is in a half migrated state. The way I ended up running was by using 2003 as a domain, NT4 as another, and then just creating trusts, setting groups, between the two domains to allow users from either to access the same resources.

If I knew before what I know now I would of purchased server 2k instead of 03.

I have since found out that the only real way of merging the two domains is to upgrade the nt4 pdc to 2003. You can add as many 2003 server as you like then as the domain is no longer nt4. Not exactly what myself or you wanted to know!

Good luck

You can add a W2003 server as a member server of an NT4 domain without too many problems.

As vincelewin says making W2003 the DC is more problematic but it is doable and not that hard.

What you might want to do though is set the NT4Emulator switch in the 2003 DC registry so that it isn't overloaded by W2K clients trying to logon, they'll default to using a W2K / 2003 DC in preference to an NT4 BDC if you don't. You can set this on the NT4 machine before you upgrade it.

thanks for the advice,

Does the fact that Microsoft has discontinued support for NT4.0 have any influence with you folks about integrating NT doamins 2003 and AD. My client just wants there business to function, unfortunately the business unit and I have to deal with the IT department that is convinced that NT4.0 domains are the way to go. I have advised my client that we should make every attempt to stay current with technology (software & hardware) but not bleeding edge. We could easily run stand-alone, which is what we are doing know except for the new politics that we are encountering. I personally do not believe that integrating these two platforms would be a good step (2003 with the NT domain), but rather we should implement 2003 & AD and then when the rest of the environment is upgraded and ready we would then be willing to integrate with them.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back