Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2003 and Linux advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezplan

Technical User
Dec 11, 2003
US
We have a network of 30 users that was set up about 8 years ago with a single WinNT 4.0 server handling everthing. Over the years I've added a couple of Linux servers which has taken over most things from the NT box: file serving, email, intranet, home directories, database, network backup. The NT box only handles network authentication, printer spooling and print cost accounting, network antivirus and license manager for AutoCAD.The ACAD licensing setup is such that we are required to have a Windows server as the PDC.

Given that the NT box is so old, (Pentium Pro 200Mhz), and starting to behave erratically, (print spooler crashes about once a week), we've decided to replace the NT box with a new 2003 box. I only need the 2003 box to do the same things as the NT box.

My questions: Do I have to run Active Directory? What problems will I encounter dropping 2003 as a PDC into a network with stable and funtioning Linux servers? Does the 2003 server have to be the DNS machine?

Any comments/suggestions/advice from experienced folks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Heya,

Personaly if i read your story i dont think its a problem to run an active directory .. you got to have a DC. I also dont think the win2003 box has to run the DNS. If you run DNS now under linux then configure the win2003 server to use that DNS server. (simply dont install the dns server on the win2003 server).

I dont think you will encounter alot of problems with the switch, i would sugest you install the new server as how you see it fit, and test after working hours (switch the nt4 server for the win2003 server) and give it some testing.

With best regards,
Peter

Thanks Peter,

You're correct: 2003 seems to accept the Linux DNS just fine!

I've attached the 2003 server to our LAN but created a new domain with it as the PDC. So now the same phyical LAN ahs two domains running over it: the NT and the 2003. I took 1 XP and 1 win98 workstation and had them join the 2003 domain, seemed to work OK, and have been adding printers etc.

The next big step is to switch the linux/samba servers over to the 2003 domain. I'm reading that kerberos is important on a 2003 domain. Can that be bypassed by selecting a "lower" domain security? I'm concerned that will break the Linux connection to the domain and I may have to spend the time upgrading samba and installing kerberos on those servers.

Any more comments suggestions greatly appreciated! thanks again!

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back