Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2003 290 exam 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdk25

IS-IT--Management
Dec 9, 2005
US
is it just me? or is the 2003 290 exam ridicoulsy difficult!!! i took the 290 exam and failed a few weeks ago, i found reading the question to be more difficult then awnsering it, and the sim questions are also very screwed up, there are numerous way's to complete a task in active directory in real life but theese sims only alow you to do it one way! Micorsoft really needs to have a better writer making theese test

cdk25,

A little perseverance goes a long way. Many people I know failed the 70-290 exam after either taking 70-270 just before it, or never taking a Microsoft exam beforehand.

Although I passed the 70-290 on the first attempt, I've failed a few other Microsoft exams. I considered it more of a learning experience than a failure, with the lesson that I needed to prepare more.

Your mileage may vary, but with adequate preparation you'll pass it next time.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

cdk25,
Microsoft's questions are worded very carefully. You need to look very carefully into the details of the question and figure out why the questions are worded the way that they are.

When taking the exams there are also a few things that you should assume. Unless the question is specifically about licenses assume that it's not about licensing. When they talk about servers the servers all have 1 drive unless otherwise specified. When taking the tests the "company that you are working for" (contosco, adventure works, northwind, etc) money is no object.

The Microsoft exams are thoroughly examined and tested by the MCP community to ensure that they are fairly worded so that the questions can be under stood by everyone. Unfortualy some times that means that the true meaning of the question can get buried.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

I am sure i will get through this test, i just hope it is on the 2nd try and not the 3rd or 4th like i have heard it has sometimes taken people, "4x seems like lack of studying."

thanks for the advice.

cdk25,

There's a signifivant difference between "lask of studying" and "inadequate preparation".

The best specific advice I can offer you about this exam is to spend plenty of time with the MS Press Readiness Review CD. The practice exams cover the same material as the actual exam, and the questions have similar wording.

It seems that on the exams, half the battle is understanding what the question is really about.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

Hi all,

I'm new to Tektips, I have been reading through the forums relating to the 270/290 examination.

I failed it yesterday for the second time and after a lot of studying and what I thought was good preperation, my score on the exam was 622, and I have to say I was pretty peeved at not getting a pass that I was hoping for.
What was annoying was the fact that I had no one really to speak to about this because no body I know is doing the same examination/MCSE, so this website has really helped and made me feel better.

My preperation included taking the 290 Transceder preperation exams, and refering to the online study program which is provided by Wave Technologies (has anybody else used these?), I'm thinking about purchasing some new material and I'm torn between the measure up at test exams, the self test software test exams or test king software - Has anybody used these? or can can anybody advise recomened material to use as a good source of the 290 exam preperation

Once again I find these forums reaaly useful and will be updating my progress through the mcse on here.

I look forwward to your responses.

Mark French

i actually have the selftest brand software, my company paid a ten thousand dollar tuition for me to take theese mcse track class at a college, the instructor is really great, he has over 15 years real world experience, and holds over 20 certs along with a mct.

in all my classes we use ms press books, and "selftest" brand software, this software can be very helpfull in preparing for the test, learning lots of key concepts and understanding them, the selftest questions are very difficult also and completely different from the real test.

The book which I used when passing the exams was the Big Blue MS Press books. They cover almost everything that was on the exam, and also cover a lot of useful materials which can be used in the real world.

The MS Press books also come with the sample tests to see how you are doing. The general concensus in this forum seams to be if you can get an 80% on the sample tests from the MS Press books then you can pass the tests.

I avoid all the brain dump places that give you "actual questions and answers". You never know if those are the right answer or not. It's what the people that work for that company thing are the right answer.

Denny

[noevil]

Yeah, i think i will refer back to the Wavetech online material and freshen up on areas where i feel weak like

• NTFS Permissions & defaults for groups
• SUS backup and restore
• Performance logs and alerts, counter log's and trace logs.

i think that's pretty much it, I shall persevere and hopefully get the pass next time.

i plan to retake on the 17th

Thanks for all your advise.

Smooth23 :- I'm in the same boat.
I am in an IT department of 5 but I am the only one making the effort to get certifications. I think it would be much easier to share experiences and co-operate in understanding tricky areas.

This site has really helped me out in a big way.
In fact...my first thought after passing 70-228 today was...who can I tell?? Here I am :eek:).

I have always used the selftest software and I have found them pretty good. The questions are if anything, often a little harder than the real exams. I understand they now do simulations.

I just (?) have 70-290 to do now before I achieve MCDBA.
Based on comments above, I'll get the the MS book as per MrDenny's ( he who knows all ) comments.

Dazed and confused
(N+, MCAD)

Now, now, I don't know everything. A lot, sure but not everything.

Eventually I'll hit the limit of the amount of knowledge that I can stuff into my brain (at which point we'll probably be able to attach small hard drives to our selves for extra memory and storage).

I did find the Big Blue books helpfull. Although nothing can take the place of the experience.

Congrats on passing your 228.

Denny

[noevil]

MrDenny:- I already see you in my mind's eye as a Borg like creature with lots of wires sticking out of your head surrounded by flickering consoles and whiring hard drives.

Although sometime I also have a vision of a long haired, sage looking guy in a cross legged yoga position wearing a white robe and going 'Hmmmmm...the answer is....' while you levitate a few metres from the ground. Of course I recognise this is probably not the case....levitation is just a magicians trick.

Dazed and confused
(N+, MCAD .NET)

Skittle - thanks for your comments and congratulations on the PASS, it does feel fab when you get a pass after a good 2 hour brain burn.

Since my first post i have downloaded a demo of the selftest 70-290 and didn't do too bad, i was very impressed with the explanations - really helpful. Think i'll purchase the full version - my cracking day's are way behind me now, i'm all legit and boring.

mrdenny - 'fountain of all knowledge', that comment about the memory upgrade did make me laugh.

just a quick question, where did you get hold of the Big Blue Books and how much should one expect to pay, think i'll cjeck these out.

Thanks.

Skittle,
That's got to be the funniest thing that I've heard in a while.

Oddly enough I've got the long hair, and I often cross my legs when sitting in my chair at the office (which could be called levitating about a meter above the ground). Can't do much with the white robe, I do where a red hoody that drapes off the back of the chair. Is that close enough?

I got my 2000 books from Amazon. My 2003 books came from the school that a previous company sent me to. The 70-228 book costs $60 US as does the 70-294. I would expect them to all cost about the same. All the book stores should carey them. Your local library should also have them available.

Here's the to the MS page. They show $60 is the retail for the 70-290. You can find the books on and get the ISBN (Microsoft calls it the Item) and any book store can look up the book by that number.

Denny

[noevil]

Hey there smooth23, just another site offering good practice exams, is the exams which offer practically exactly how the questions will be like on the exam, I took it the first time and scored 674, (actually missing by 2 questions) but actually found alot of the exact same exam questions from my practice tests from their (testking) site!

I plan to retest by the end of december, but I will go through the questions alot more carefully next time.

regards.

mrdenny....wierdly accurate then!

LOL.

:eek:)

I also got my blue SQL books from Amazon less than 6 months ago.

I have to say I think the Sybex book for 70-229 is better than the blue MS book. Just easier to digest with more examples. I would always advise buying two different publishers books on a cert anyway. My usual method is to now get Sybex and Microsoft.

Dazed and confused
(N+, MCAD .NET)

Studying a TestKing is more less cheating. You dont learn anything except which answer goes to which question on the real test, if you have a good memory.

TestKing to me is only useful if you want to practice the real test after lots and lots of studying to get a feel for what to expect on the real exam.

I am ready to take my 70-290 for next week. I read the big blue MS Press book and also watched all the videos for CBT Nuggets and TrainSignal videos. I actually learned a lot from the videos getting to see the labs in action instead of just reading about them. :)

Just my thoughts...

Ryan

MCP/MCDST

I recommend to all of you who feel as if you don't have a shot at passing the exam is to click below. It teaches you how to actually setup DNS server, DHCP , WINS etc.. . You will be getting hands on without cheating and feel comfortable. I am taking the 70-290 and so far I have read the Microsoft book twice as well and practice all of the lads. I have experience in the feel and know this will enhance it evenmore. I did have a problem with zone transfers but resolve that problem. I am not a spokeman for these guys, just someone who wants to redirect some of you guys from cheating as a final option. If you cheat it will get you in the long run. Try out the demos, they are really good then you decide. I want to be done with my exam by the end of January and renew my mcse 4.0 to mcse 2003 messaging.

MCSE 4.0
CCNA
MCP 2000
MCP 2003

I got a 905 on my 270 exam, but can't get past 290. I have failed it 3 times! I do a great deal of studying and taking practice tests. I also do tech support for a major ISP and am a network admin on the side. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Setup a lab at home with some old machines or Virtual PC / VM Whare / etc.

Denny

[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back