Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2002p2 and 2004p2 are having problems with PoE+

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechDown

Technical User
Mar 22, 2018
ES
Hi all,

Recently our lan have been upgraded with Cisco switchs with PoE+. Since then, everyday we find 2002p2 and 2004p2 complitily frozen.. Users can't dial, the clock is also frozen, they can't get incoming calls.. The only solution is to restart them. After that the phone is again fully operational till it gets frozen again.

This issue never happened with PoE switchs. If I am not wrong, PoE+ is establishing 30W as limit, and PoE 15W. It seems 2002p2 and 2004p2 are trying to get the max Watts possible, 30, and they can't assimilate them for a long period.

Are 2002p2 and 2004p2 trying to negotiate how many watts they get from switch? or do they ask the maximun, 30w ? This problem doesn't happen with 1120e and 1140e.

I would appreciate some help, customer is getting nervous and switch administrators are not helping. They say our phones are obsolete and not negotiating well.

2002p2's firmware is 0604DBL
2004p2's firmware is 0604DBF

Thank you very much guys.

Regards,

I found that 2002's and 2004's always liked the wall wart better than POE from the network switch. You still have the injectors? Have the switch admins do a no inline power on those ports connected to those phones and put the wall warts back in play.

They are pretty much correct when they tell you those sets are obsolete and not negotiating well.

Thank you Wanebo, I appreciate your answer. Unfortunately for me, I don't have injectors.

If you are confirming that 2002p2 and 2004p2 don't negotiate well, it means they didn't negotiate well with PoE (15w) either, they worked with 15w. Problem is that these sets are capable to run with 15w but not with 30w (PoE+). Am I right?

Thank you very much.

Regards,

They were POE Class 2 devices so they could negotiate their power needs somewhat, but they were certainly not great at it. But they also relied on a (I believe it was an RDU) keep alive signal between them and the CS1000 to maintain a steady connection to the PBX and that might play into your issue too. Like Firebird Scrambler suggested you should probably have them at the latest FW. You can play around setting the wattage available to the phones by using the Cisco power inline static watt command and set the available wattage down lower to mimic a switch that was only capable of feeding 15v max.

I always had the best luck with those just shutting the switch power completely off and using the wall wart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back