Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2000 Server Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

phantasus

MIS
Mar 6, 2004
US
I have 2000 Server setup with AD and I am using a Linksys Router to connect to the internet and it also acts as a DCHP Server too.

All of the clients are XP Pro and some can see the server just fine and some cannot see the server at all.

Any reason why some can see this and some cant?

When you say "some can see the server just fine and some cannot see the server at all", what do you mean by that? Some can't ping the server? Can't ping by name? Can't ping by IP? Can't see it in My Network Places?

I don't suggest letting the linksys router do your DHCP unless you can configure options to be passed out by DHCP in the linksys router. This means your router must be configurable or move the DHCP to the server (prefered on the server anyway). Most of the default configurations provided by routers have the router listed as the dns server, which is fine if all you want is internet connection sharring. The prefered way to do this is have dhcp list your 2000 server as the dns server. This way, you get resolution for your private network. Your computers on the private network should see each other clearly at this point. The problem it will create is you can lose resolution for the internet but there is a cure. In the DNS on the server, you delete the root "." zone. Once deleted, you can create a forward to your ISP's dns server ip address. When your clients come to your dns for internet resolution, your dns will now go to the ISP and get it for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back