Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2000 server loses network connection during data pull?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Internexus

IS-IT--Management
Nov 5, 2004
US
Whenever I put a decent load of data to be pulled across the network FROM a particular 2000 server it will just lose its network connection completely and I have to reboot it in order to get it functioning again.

Does anyone have any idea what would cause this? The only thing I can think of is perhaps a dying NIC?

i'd go ahead and replace the network card to mark it off of the list of possible causes. If that doesn't work, then I would check the hub or switch. I've ran into a problem simular before and i've seen a switch drop packets before too.

Hope that helps

Justin

None of the other servers seem to have this issue so I wouldn't think the switch is at fault but who knows. I can certainly switch ports no problem to find out.

just because none of the other computers are having the problem doesn't mean it can't be a switch. On a switch, each port is basically its own hub. Single ports can become faulty. I've seen it plenty of time. Its just one of those things you try.

Always start with the simpliest things first and go from hthere

Sounds like errors building up on the port.

Are you using wire connections which are certified, if you tested them with an LED continuity tester, consider the results useless.

Toggle the flow control setting see if this helps.

If you have managed switches monitor the error count, if you have more than a few in a day, you have issues.

Far fetched, but pull the NIC, and reseat it, look for fussballs in the NIC rj45 port

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

It is an unmanaged switch so I will swap ports and see if that effects it at all. I can remake a cable or swap it with another server no problem. I will switch ports right now and try to pull a mass of data.

So far after changing ports ive transferred about 4gb with 0 problems. Thanks guys :D

Cancel that, I kept packin data and I got it to replicate the same problem. Going to swap cables between two machines now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back