Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2000 server in nt4 Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

people2

Technical User
Feb 8, 2002
GB
Hi
I Have a nt4 domain with one Nt4 pbc and 5 nt4 bdc's. I want to replace one of the bdc (nt4) with a new windows 2000 server. The new 2000 server must authenticate users on that lan segment and act as a file server.

Can this be done, also will it automaticaly import the users from the pdc (nt4) user manager to authenticate them. Also can active directory be installed on it and not cause any problems with the PDC

thanks for any help

thanks for the reply,

If it cannot be used to validate users, can a add a 2000 server in a nt 4 domain as a file server, (is that a member servr?)

I have been told that you can do this. We are actually in the process of doing this same thing until we upgrade. I am curious to see what information comes from this request. Good luck. I will keep in touch as I work through this. Thanks,
Vince

Bronto's right as usual. Just an FYIW2k can also be used as a member server in a W2K domain. We have two W2K dc's and two stand alone servers that act as work horses. (Ones a test machine we use for new development.) If we have to re-boot a server, doesn't hurt the users. Good luck. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]
"The cautious rarely err."
Confucius (551-479 B.C.); Chinese philosopher.

in an NT4 Domain..adding a W2K server as file server is possible, adding it as a PDC? depends on how you want this W2K configured. In a Domain of all W2K, there's no more PDC's or BDC's, all W2K servers synchronize with each other. In you LAN where there's mix platform, you may want to configure your W2K as an additional DC. doesnt have to be specific whether PDC or BDC (W2K doesnt have that anymore. After installation of W2K, it automatically flash the Configuration Menu. It allows you to manually configure your server later on as how you desire it to be. Be it File server - Active Directory server, Web, FTP or what have you.

Thank for that it has been most helpfull.

One last question, is there anyway of setting a w2k server to authenticate users and give them their roming profile (users on NT4 machines) on a nt4 domain WITHOUT the w2k server being the dc

The W2K server can store the roaming profiles physically, but it cannot provide any login/authentication services in an NT4 domain.

So, the best thing to do is to setup the W2k server as a DC and configure the NT4 servers for the W2k domain?

What about the login script.. Can you setup an NT4 domain to share a drive on the W2k server? Thanks,
Vince

Login scripting works the same on NT4 as it does on Windows 2000... although there are some added features on W2K, there has been nothing removed.

You can map a drive from an NT4 login to a W2K server or vise versa

Weather it works will depend on the permissions you have set on the drives and domains (if the W2K server and NT4 server are in diffrent domains.)
CJ
- Jr. Rocket Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back