Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2000 Server Directory Services Restore 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimdevon

IS-IT--Management
Oct 14, 2002
US
Help!! A company I do work for has had a crash in the Domain server. Here is a brief background. This is a nursing home in a small town. Noone knows who set up the network. The system has a domain controller (W2000Server), and a database server (NT4 Server). They called me and said the computer error says "The drive is full start computer in Directory Services Restore mode." Problem is noone knows the Administrator restore passwore. It is not the same as the system administrator's code. I cannot see the hard drive to see if the disk is truly full. If it is, I would think the solution would be to access the drive and delete unnecessary files to add free space. Problem is, I cannot find anyway to access the drive. I cannot start 2000 in recovery mode because the error "there is no recognized hard drive or the drive is controlled by a third party software". Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Jim.

without the admin restore pw you can't do things the right way...

i'd try to import the disk onto another PC, and make some room that way.
if that works, then reboot the server, install a 2nd one and replicate AD... when you DCPROMO you set your password for restore mode.

this way you end up replacing the old one, but w/o restore passwords, next time it'll be as big a 'mess'...

Aftertaf

"Solutions are not the answer." - Richard Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back