Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2000 SBS DNS Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

eljefe79

MIS
Jul 9, 2001
US
Hello All,

Need some help on this one. I recently moved an SBS server to a new network and subnetting scheme and have been running into an intermittent problem.

The 2000 SBS SP4 server was running installed to a 192.168.0.0/27 network with exchange and RRas for remote access. The subnet had a linksys router to the internet with static routes. A cisco was setup to provide point to point to another remote office at 192.168.0.32/27.
The SBS install had both exchange,Wins, DNS, F&P, RRas installed for VPN connectivity and roaming profiles...no ISA.

I widened the scope to a 24 bit subnet, setup now 2 remote offices on the 24 bits of 192.168.7.x and 192.168.9.x. The ad sites and subnets were deleted and new ones recreated for the new subnetting scheme. DNS and wins were cleaned and the server patched to the newest security level.

Here's the problem,

I have intermittent loss of DNS at the satellite locations which have dhcp provided by cisco routers. It looks as though the sbs server is populating DNS with the ip address of the external virtual network adapter from inbound VPN RRas sessions.

When a remote subnet client attempts to logon, the client attempts to map to the virtual adapters IP address instead of the network card address. When I looked at the config for the dns server, the server had registered the virtual adapter's IP address into the "listen only on these network interfaces applette. The scope for RRas clients had been an excluded part of the 0/27 bit scope however I have now moved it to DHCP.

It seems like the server is doing roundrobin on me and registering the external Virtual adapter address. Am I missing a checkbox or SBS specific glitch here? If clients resolve to that virtual address, all they''l see is the user's folder.

Anybody have any experience with this issue or can give me a hand?

Much appreciated

Jefe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back