Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2000 Pro as a ROUTER?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITGL72

MIS
Jul 2, 2001
US

I have a W2K Pro machine with two NICS. One NIC see's our internal subnet, the other NIC see's our public subnet. On my PC in my office I want to use the W2K PC with 2 NICS to act as a router. Now I am thinking I need to ad a route to the routing table. Now do I need to add the route to my PC? Or the PC that has the two NICS? or Both? I assume also I must turn on IP routing on the PC with the two NICS? Has anyone done this?

I would need just a little more info on how your network is set up...but the quick answer is NO, your machine would more technically be more of a gateway, and less of a router (in some cases the two terms have become almost interchangeable) anyway, if it linking machines on a private network to the outside world.

The way I understand your question, your Win2k box is connected to a public net and probably a router already, and you would like machines behind this one to also have access to the public net and/or the internet, right?

If thats the case, Win2k has what you need to become a gateway without the addition of / or changes to a routing table.

Again, in case I misunderstand the point of your question, I would need more detailed info...

We have our LANs internal subnet going through a multihomed box that is our proxy server. So that's how they get outside to the internet.

This other W2K box that is also multihomed has one nic on the inside, one on the outside.

And yes, we have a router that connects with out T for web access.

This is not something I want the entire office to do, just my own machine in my office so I can get to the external machines (Public IP's) when I need to.

I tried adding a route to my personal office machine and I also tried turning ip routing on the W2K multihomed machine but that didn't seem to work when I pinged machines on our outside.

Hope that makes it a little clearer for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back