Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2000 Member server in NT 4.0 Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyt1513

IS-IT--Management
Jun 19, 2002
US
I wanted to add a W2K Advanced Server as a member server to a NT 4.0 Domain, but it cannot recognize NT 4.0 Domain Local Groups. How do I configure it. It would be the only 2000 server.

Thanks,

Mike

I had an NT 4.0 BDC. We were running out of space on the 80 gig drive, keep in mind this is entirely NT 4.0. So after the complete backup ran on fri night. I did a restore to the new Windows 2000 Advanced Server, which was added as a member server. The data is accessed globally so a lot of people access it. We had all Domain Local Groups set up for each directory (..read, ...write, etc). So when the restore completed I verfied the permissions on each share and they matched those on the old server. Monday morning anyone in the Domain Local groups could not access any data. There are a few global groups flying around, and they can access the data. So I removed one of the domain local groups from the directory permissions and went to re add it and noticed that I could not see any of the domain local groups. Then I tried to add the permissions to the share from the PDC and it alos wouldn't bring up the domain local groups on that share on the Windows 2000 Server.

Next I went and checked our other NT 4.0 member servers and they also could not see the Domain Local Groups. So after checking our other NT servers, the only ones that would allow permissions to on shares to Domain Local groups were those on NT BDC's or PDC's.

I don't ever remember learning anything about that.

yeah, domain local groups are specific to domain controllers. Member servers only know from their own local groups, not from the DC's, that's why they're called Local. In addition, in NT4, no matter what system you use, you can't add a local group from one machine into a local group on another machine.

Yeh I know about the local machines not being able to add into other locals and domain locals not in other domain locals, etc... but thanks I wasnt aware that the Domain Controllers didn't share the info with other Servers on Domain Local Groups.

So pretty much there is no way I can have a W2K server added to a NT Domain and have it see Domain Local groups because 2000 uses active directory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back