Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2000 Authentication

Status
Not open for further replies.

people2

Technical User
Feb 8, 2002
GB
Hello

Hope you all can help

I upgraded my PDC from NT4 to windows 2000 active Dir, all went ok but users in remote sites using windows 200 clients always authenticated of the PDC not their local nt 4 server. This was kind of expected untill we updated the BDC.

We have just updated one of the Nt4 BDC to windows 2000 active dir, which all went ok. However now users using windows 2000 pc's seem to randomly log into any 2000 server not the server on their site

eg people in the same site as the PDC randomly log into (authenticates) the 2000 upgraded BDC. And visa versa.

Why does this happen and is their anyway of getting a 2000 pc to login the closet server or a specific server without using LMhost files

Thank for any help

The Windows 2000 clients use DNS server entries to locate the netlogon server. If you set up your remote sites as children of your domain (rm1.domain.com) run DNS on the local DC as authoratative (delegated from the main DNS for domain.com). The clients (host.rm1.domain.com) will use the local DC first. Assumming it is the preferred DNS server.

A link to MS Article

Thanks for you prompt replys. This is exactly what i need thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back