Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2000 ADUC for 2003 domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

robmcl

Instructor
Jan 21, 2004
CA
Our corp environment req that workstations continue to use W2000 while the domain has been upgraded to W2003. With the W2000 admin tools on my workstation, it appears I can still access and manage the new W2003 AD database. I do realize that there are two distinct version of the adminpak.msi (2000 and 2003).

Q: Following some research, I have found two sources that claim that using the wrong admin tools to administer the AD database, runs the risk of corrupting that database. Any comments or documented reason why using the 2000 adminpak tools could corrupt the 2003 AD database?

I have used the 2000 adminpak for resetting passwords in a 2003 AD environment but nothing more, i believe there are incompatibilities that way around which is why MS do not support it.
I have been told this by a member of MS product support but they don't seem to provide any more information than that i'm afraid.

In rare cases, Windows Server 2003 tools are incompatible and unsupported for managing Windows 2000 Server-based computers. Similarly, in rare cases, Windows 2000 tools are incompatible with Windows Server 2003-based family computers.

I really wouldn't recommend it in a production setup, if you get some strange problems it will be a real headache to sort expecially if MS don't support it.

What about using remote desktop to use the tools on the 2003 server directly, or upgrading your PC to XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back