Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

%20

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPD3

Programmer
Feb 12, 2002
US
I want to create a link to an application that requires command line parameters. For example, in an email I want to send:

\\server\share\application.exe -parameter1 -parameter2

The link stops at the .exe, so to make the whole thing a link I do the following:

<file:\\server\share\application.exe -parameter1 -parameter2>

It looks like it would work but when I click on it I get:
"Cannot find file \\server\share\application.exe -parameter1 -parameter2. Make sure the path or internet address is correct."

So I'm assuming the spaces are confusing it.

I thought if I added a %20 in place of the spaces it would work but doesn't.

I also have a command or batch file that I have used instead. The batch or commmand file has the path with parameters and that works but corporate doesn't allow this anymore because it could allow malicious software to execute on a users computer.

Any ideas how to make this work?

You should be able to make a true html formatted document, then send that by e-mail. The correct html code should be something like:
Code:
<A href="file:\\server\share\application.exe -parameter1 -parameter2">click this</A>

Oops, that should have been:

Code:
<A href="file://server/share/application.exe -parameter1 -parameter2">click this</A>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back