Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

20 GB Backup tape VS. 40 GB Backup - ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scooby4Doo

IS-IT--Management
Jun 26, 2002
US
My dept. was using 20 GB backup tapes for daily backups of our major data. As anticipated, it now takes 2 of these tapes to do a complete daily backup (more and more data stored daily). To be able to fit the data on one backup tape, I purchased 40 GB backup tapes (compressed and 20 GB uncompressed). The backup tape drive will not recognize the new tapes and I have been unable to do a backup on the new tapes. Thought this would've been a no brainer, but I guess not! Yes the new tapes are preformatted, the only difference I can read - "Compatible Travan NS 20 GB" (this is the lable on the old backup tapes), and "Compatible Travan 40 GB" (label on new tapes). Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

EAT CAKE Mr. Gates! [peace]

Tape capacity is also determined by your drive. Simply upgrading the tapes is usually not sufficient and often results in what you're experiencing and thats an inability to even write to them. You usually also have to buy a newer generation of tape drive. Check your drive compatability matrix and you will probably see it's not compatible with the tapes you purchased. Check the newer generation of that same drive and you'll probably see it is compatably. Make sure it's also read compatible (or read and write if so desired) with the newer drive and upgrade your drive(s) appropriately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back