Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

20-24 pin ATX connector for motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

purevanilla88

Programmer
Jan 23, 2005
US
Hey Guys,

So I'm thinking of buying a new motherboard (Intel D101GGCL ATI Socket 775 MicroATX), which has a 24 pin ATX connector... I have an Ultra X-Connect power supply (500W), but it has a 20 pin plug... I found, on TigerDirect, a 20 pin to 24 pin adapter (item # TC3G-5001), which *could* solve this problem...
Is this adapter going to do any good, or is my power supply simply not going to be able to handle the extra load (if there is a difference)?

thanks in advance!

-Chris

P.S: I will be using an Intel Celeron D 351 3.20GHz / 256KB Cache / 533MHz FSB / OEM / Socket 775 processor with the motherboard, if that becomes a deciding factor...

Check your motherboard manual some 24 pin mobos support 20 pin psus but with some certain amperage requirements on some rails But you shouldnt have any problems using an adaptor you seem to have enough power it would be the quality of your psu that I would be concerned about it is not a brand name that I am familar with but that dosent mean anything it could well be a good one.

purevanilla88
This only becomes critical when you have particularly high consumers in your setup ie:
High end graphics cards combined with high end CPU and multitude of addon cards.
A CeleronD 351 has a fairly low (in comparison to some) power consumption of 84watts, which on it's own will not require a particularly powerful PSU but combine this with a dual graphics card setup ie: 2X Nvidia 6800ultra's in SLi then you seriously need some amperage.
More info would be helpful but an average setup with one midlerange graphics card, a couple of HDD's, two roms and a gig of ram is not going to trouble your UltraX connect 500watt that has 30/34 amps on the 5V and 12volt rails respectively.

As for the step up adaptor, well not recommended for the high powered rig I described because that high current load is still going throungh 20pins but again for the average setup, NOT A PROBLEM!
I was running a first generation Athlon64 3500 with two 6600GT's SLI'd, 3 hard drives, two roms, an Audigy2 and a gig of OCZ Gold overvolted all on a 431watt Enermax (old version) with the same 20/24 pin step up adapter. Everything ran spotlessly for over 8months until I upgraded the whole rig.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back