Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 zones with the same IP address on same server

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdina

Programmer
Jun 17, 2003
US
first off here is what I have for a DNS server:

Red Hat 7.3
BIND 9.2.1

my network DNS servers reside on a DMZ, they server DNS for the outside world, behind my firewall all of my clients use private IPs and have their own DNS server. Ideally what I would like is to have a single DNS server, my problem being that the domain, and for example my mail server has two different IP addresses, one accessible from the outside world and the other not, so for example my mail server has the following IPs:

the clients behind the firewall using the nameserver on the DMZ when querying mail.domain.com would get 200.201.202.1 as the IP address however this would not work because they can not contact that IP, they need to get 192.168.0.1 returned to them as the IP, and now they could get their mail. the next part that is a little tricky is that most all of my clients are laptops and they all leave the building and need to work with out changes in the outside world. they need to be able to go home and query mail.domain.com and get back 200.201.202.1, instead of the 192.168.0.1 they should get when in the office building. this must be possible, but like I said, for now, we just have two different DNS servers, one for internal use and one for external.

thanks,
--Bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back