Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 WRT54Gs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willy17

Technical User
Aug 29, 2007
US
My network lingo is probably not correct so I'm not sure whether I'm using the right terms.

My current network consists of an old Linksys BEFW11S4 802.11b router with 2 PCs directly connected and 2 more connected wirelessly. I want to get the xbox 360 connected so my plan is to move my DSL modem and router from the home office on the 2nd floor to the family room on the first floor so I can directly connect the xbox. I bought 2 WRT54Gs for this purpose. One will replace the old BEFW11S4 in the family room and act as the router/gateway. I don't think that part of the setup will be difficult as that's what they gear their instructions for. I started on the harder part... I want to put the other WRT54G in my office where I want to directly connect 2 pcs and eventualy a printer and get that WRT54G wirelessly talking to the main router/gateway (currently the old BEFW11S4 but will replace with the other WRT54G). Does that make it an access point or a switch? There are also two other PCs which will connect to the familyroom wirelessly.

One reason I went with this idea was because the 2 PCs in the office don't have wireless cards and the future printer will not likely have one either. So I thought I'd buy 1 $50 router instead of 3 wireless adapters.

I have the WRT54G in the office in "router" mode and have given it an address of 192.168.1.2 to differ from the main router/gateway which is the default 192.168.1.1. Don't know how to setup the routes on the "advanced routing" screen. It kept complaining about the gateway address I was entering.

Does this make sense. Is there a better way to do this? Any help appreciated.

The WRT54G can be used as an Wireless Access Point or WAP, but it needs to be connected via Ethernet to your primary router/switch. The WAP part as a "base station" does NOT communicate to the other WAPs or routers wirelessly. They are not designed with that capability.

With the hardware you currently have, you would need to run a CAT5e cable and/or long patch cords to connect the units together for your network to function properly and program the second WRT54G as a WAP.

Hope this helps!

....JIM....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back