Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 video cards? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freddycd15

Instructor
Feb 3, 2004
I'm wondering if it's possible to have 2 video cards plugged on your motherboard.

The reason for this is that I'm thinking of getting a xfx 7900gs graphics card which I hear is very noisy. I will only really use this card when playing games and image editing. Because I have my computer on for quite a few hours each day, plus I'll be in the same room as the PC, I can't stand constant high levels of noise.

Is it possible to switch off the noisy video card and use the second one (without fan) in windows? Are there monitors that have both DVI and VGA sockets? so that I wouldn't have to plug and unplug cables each time?

Thanks.

It is not possible to switch off a video card without turning off the entire PC.

However, it is entirely possible to replace the noisy HSF and purchase another one which has better performance and therefor works with a lot less noise.

You must be careful during the operation, though, because it is entirely possible to destroy the GPU while removing the factory-installed HSF.

That said, I have replaced a few myself, on cards from ATI and Nvidia, and I have never had any problems.

Pascal.

Thanks,

I have done some research into replacement heat sinks as well. Since you have done some replacements yourself, are there any brands that you particularly recommend? Also, what kind of alcohol is good for removing the white paste on the ram and GPU?

Never touched RAM before, but regular cleaning alcohol should be fine for cleaning off the heatspreader of the CPU or the chip itself. You do have to be careful and not splash the stuff all over, but we're not talking plastic CD surface here.

As for HSF brands, Zalman has a solid reputation and some good performers. There are others. Generally, do not buy a cooler that does not at least have a copper base. Coolers are generally made of aluminium and/or copper, and generally the more copper the better the cooling performance (but there are exceptions). I would check out Tom's Hardware, or other such serious hardware reviewing sites, and find out which ones they recommend.

Also, do not use white paste. That stuff is a rather poor performer. Buy yourself some Arctic Silver and get a real thermal paste compound. There is a difference in performance, and it is not in favor of the white stuff.

Pascal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back