Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 subnets behind pix 501

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 3, 2001
US
Hello All,
I have a pix501 that I will be installing at a customer site, she tells me that she wants the lab pc's to be seperate from the office pc's. So I am guessing two different subnets. Can the Pix 501 support 2 different subnets, and route traffice between them? Or what could I do for this case?

Thanks in advance.

Just when you think that you have your systems up to date, someone finds a new vulnerability.

No, can't do it with the 501 alone. You will need either a router behind the pix, (or even another 501)
or a 515 with 3rd interface.
You also could use a pair of 501s supporting totally separate LANs. Put a switch between you and your ISP and get the extra address if you do not have it all ready.

Could I use the 501 on the head end, and use 2 small say Belkin routers on the inside to seperate the networks?

Just when you think that you have your systems up to date, someone finds a new vulnerability.

I think what you are proposing would look sort of like this.

office -- router
--- pix
lab -- router

Unless there is an issue with office traffic being visible on the lab LAN, you only need one router. And being that the pix has a built in switch the office traffic will be pretty well hidden from the lab anyway.

office -- router
--- pix
lab

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back