Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 subnets, 1 NT 4.0 Domain - NETBIOS Issue? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mugs82

MIS
Oct 15, 2000
US
I have 2 buildings (East and West) connected via a dedicated T1. East contains the PDC and a BDC on subnet 192.168.100.x , West contains a BDC on subnet 192.168.101.x.
All workstations and servers in the organization are route aware. I have no problems pinging one subnet from the other. Yet none of the servers at West show up in network neighborhood from the East and vice versa. Can someone explain what's happening here and how to resolve the issue?

right,
wins wont go across unless you get a WINS server up..

I would put it in East, then setup all machines (both east and west) to use the WINS server.

I am using WINS at the East location. I might try adding a secondary WINS server at West. Any other suggestions?

to verify if if it is a wins issue trying using the lmhost file to enable browsing across the subnet.

if the lmhost works then yes, you might need a wins on both subnet to learn how to write a correct lmhost file
look up ms knowledge base article
How to Write an LMHOSTS File for Domain Validation and Other Name Resolution Issues q180094

Just to get a clearer picture, when you ping, can you ping machines by name or IP address only? If you can ping by name then WINS is not the issue - network neighbourhood is populated by the NT Browser service.

If you have the NT Resource kit, get hold of Browmon.exe and check where the master browser is for each subnet. The domain master browser is your PDC.

I would say this this is more likely to be the problem rather than WINS.

Cheers,

Russky

I can ping using Netbios name or ip....from either side

Okay, I used browmon.exe (Thanks for that..) and it shows that the BDC at West is the Domain Master Browser for that subnet. The PDC at East is the domain master browser for its subnet. What is the way to change the preferred domain master browser in NT 4.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back