Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 subforms need to synchronize

Status
Not open for further replies.

debbieg

Technical User
Dec 2, 2002
US
I need some advice.

I have a form with a 2 subforms on it -- both are continuous forms -- both are based on the same table (PrimaryKeys are SSN and DateTaken). The second subform is actually a continuation of the first form because I couldn't get all the fields to fit on one form. They look like this:

subform 1
Code:
Date                       ACT
Test           ACT       English
Taken       Composite      UM        ...10 more columns...

03/01/2004     36          36
02/01/2004     20 
01/01/2004     10          20
etc.

subform 2
Code:
Date            
Test         Enter
Taken         ACT     ...4 more columns...

03/01/2004     16         
02/01/2004     10 
01/01/2004      5         
etc.

I only allow additions on the subform 1. After I save the new record, I requery subform 2, set focus to subform 2, and in the main form:
Code:
Private Sub subfrmAssessment2_Enter()
    DoCmd.FindRecord Forms!frmTests!subfrmAssessment1.Form!DateTaken.Value, acEntire, False, acDown, True, acAll, True
    Forms!frmTests!subfrmAssessment2.Form!EnterACT.SetFocus
End Sub

Then the user can continue entering scores on subform 2 on the correct date line. But the new record on subform 1 may be on the first row and on subform 2 it may be on row 3.

I had to use continuous forms because they want to see if scores are getting better or worse. I could have made it one long subform and used the horizontal scrollbar but was afraid the user wouldn't be aware there were more fields if they didn't see them.

Does anyone see a better way to do this?

If there isn't a better way, then is there a way that when I scroll in subform 1 that the subform 2 scrolls also and visa versa? It seems confusing that when I scroll in subform 1 I see different records in subform 2 and visa versa.

Sorry this is so long, but thought I needed to give all the information. Hope it makes sense after all this.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Debbie

No possibility to put the 18 fields in a single continuous subform on two rows with alternate color effect ?

Hope This Help, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Debbie

Why not try using a Tab Control. You should be able to put some of the controls on one tab, and further controls on the next tab. It is a neat way of getting a large amount of information on to a single form, and so no need to synchronize the forms.

JTregear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back