Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 Solaris servers failover

Status
Not open for further replies.

laptop8

Technical User
Mar 7, 2002
DE
Hi,

I'm trying to find Information on what possibilities I have to set up two Solaris 9 servers for failover.

I only have standard services running (eg. NFS, NIS; no database). One server should be always active. The other server should only take over, when the first server fails (active/standby ???).
The premier intend is to have a backup server available, without being physically present to switch.

I'm looking for hours about information about a possible setup. Especially I'm interested on Information on appropriate software.

I think open-source (if available) would do it. But also commercial software would be no problem. but I don't have a clue about the price range of such software, because most softwareproducer seem to make a big secret of their prices.

If someone could point me into the right direction...!?

Sincerely, L.

You can set up NIS so the 1st server is the NIS master and the 2nd server is the NIS slave... I think the commands are ypinit -m <server name> for the master and ypinit -s <server name> for the slave. Both servers will answer NIS requests.

For NIS you can do bfitz suggestion and make a slave NIS server. That change will be automatic, however, you cannot update the tables on the slave machine. NFS might be a little trickier. You can setup a virtual ip address that shares out the data, and when one goes down it brings the interface online on the backup one. I think you can also specify more then one NFS server in NIS. Are both machines connected to a SAN or some kind of device where they share data?

Veritas Cluster Server is another option, not cheap though.

Annihilannic.

Annihilannic;

Can you provideme documents for Veritas Cluster Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back