Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 routers on a DSL line

Status
Not open for further replies.

cricket

Technical User
Jul 5, 2000
IE
Can I put 2 routers on a DSL line, using a standard telephone splitter, and expect trouble free operation?

Nope, cant be done. (well.. im 99% sure!)
Why would you want two routers on one line or can they not be connected to each other and one act as the gateway?

Wazz

One to facilitate a VPN client , the other to be secure.

Would that require two routers? Can't the traffic all pass through one router? Or am I missing the point about what you mean by secure?

I tested it. It does not work. I now have to open up the existing router & firewall to allow PPTP traffic.

I assume asking this you're talking about a low level router/switch provided by the likes of someone like Linksys?

I've never tried it with that equipment, but it's defintely possible using standard CISCO routers and PIX firewalls. Do it all the time on DSL lines, Cable lines, T1's, T3's ... it's not impossible if you use the right equipment.

.... in fact, I'm fronting a Linkys wireless router with a PIX 501 Firewall at my house (Comcast connection) successfully now.

As for why to go with two routers. In 'businesses' it is standard practice to go router --> firewall --> router --> LAN. You have multiple levels of control. Should one area be compromised, you still have another area yet to be breached.

Tekmazter,
Agree totally. I just assumed (I no i no... never assume) that cricket was using low end router as in one for a home installation.

You could link two routers together. One would have to have the dhcp client disabled. However, you can only connect the two routers together using the built in "switch". My understanding is on these routers that the ports are only switched and not "routed". This means that the second router (not the gateway router) isnt going to block anything based on port/protocol etc and will just switch all the data. I think the only port that the router actually monitors is the adsl port.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back