Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 reports in one printing (not subreports)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexJhb

MIS
Dec 13, 2001
ZA
New to Crystal.
Have read some of the comments along this topic but they do not give me what I need.

Have to print and Invoice followed by a Delivery Note, all printing at same time as the invoice is printed.
The invoice layout is alreday done and makes extensive use of subreports.
I believe subreports can onlky be one level. You can't have subreports withing subreports.??
So I need to modify the Invoice to print 2 "invoices", and they may be multi-pages.
Then on the second invoice change the header to read Delivery Note and footer to have a signature section as well as leave some of the detail columns out like the pricing.

Is this possible?

Without knowing too much about Crystal, I am thinking what I need is the following.
I need seperate Header, footer and detail sections. Lets call them "B" sections. === I can do this in section manager.
I then copy "A" to "B" and modify "B" as required. === I am not sure if this is as simple as it sounds. I guess not, so I expect I will find some problems.
Then I have to tell it to print all "A" sections of header, detail and footer before printing "B" sections of header, detail and footer. === I have no idea how to do this.

Then again, maybe there is a smarter way.
Would appreciate some assistance.

Without understanding your data or report layout it is difficult.
A quick and dirty solution will be to add dummy group.
Create a formula
@Group
Whilereadingrecords;
' '
Move this group to top move all your subreports to header
Copy subreports to footer and modify as required for your delivery note

Ian

Ok, maybe I can explain the Invoice layout a bit more.
Header:
Logo at top plus other information like page number, doc number, date, order number etc.
Below that (still in header) are two subreports.
1. Sub 1: Billing details.
2. Sub 2: Shipping/delivery details​

Details section
main line is stock code, description, order qty, shipped qty, unit price, extended price.
subreports in details sections
Sub 1: serial numbers or lot numbers
sub 2: Instructions about the above line item.
Sub 3: Bill of material details
There are one or two more, cant recall but they are there.
Not every line has all the subreports printed. Example. if there is no serial number, that line is blank. There is a formula to check if anything is to print. if not suppress it.

Footer section
Here are totals, tax, prepayments, payment instructions, banking details.
No subreports in the footer section.

One cant move the subreports around. Billing cant be moved to detail or footer and so on.

This is printing out of a Sage 300 accounting system.
Hope that helps and is more clear.

Handling scenarios like that in Crystal reports is hard and time consuming. Our free R-Tag Community edition is able to handle it much easier, so if you can use 3rd party software to run your reports feel free to download it from this page
Our software handles this scenario by adding multiple reports to a job and then printing the job. You do not have to modify the reports, just add them to the job and set the rules for printing. Sometimes printing a report might be dependent by additional data. For example you may want to append a Welcome letter, but just for the new customers, add some additional instructions for specific states, add brochures with local information, print a report in different language based on customers' preferred language etc.

You may be able to do most of this in Crystal , but the fact that is does not support nested reports is really a big challenge

Viewer and Scheduler for Crystal reports, SSRS and Dynamic Dashboards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back