Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 RAID controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ovs8

Technical User
Mar 15, 2004
US
Hi there,

Our server has an old Adaptec 2005S RAID SCSI controller with 4HDs in RAID5 configuration. I'm planning to expand our data storage capacity by move some of the less dynamic data to the new SATA RAID1 hard drives. I was wondering though, can I have 2 different RAID controllers (SCSI and SATA)on the same system? Or am I better off adding another array group (2HDs in RAID1) to an existing controller?

Thanks a lot,
oleg

This really is not the correct forum for this topic. In general terms, yes, you can have multiple array controllers. The only thing you need to watch out for is making sure your servers BIOS is going to support it properly from a boot order perspective.

There are some system BIOSs out there that will not boot SCSI when an IDE/ATA device is present.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back