Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 questions on a chart drill down report using a specified order

Status
Not open for further replies.

src2

Technical User
Mar 1, 2001
US
I'm using CR9 to show help desk calls by department. The data is displayed as a pie chart. I'd like to be able to drill down into a department and display a pie chart showing different categories of calls. Then drill down into a category to display detail records. The problem I'm having is the department pie chart isn't allowing me to drill down. The chart is in the report header. I tried placing it elsewhere but the correct data only shows in the report header. I found a sample report using a pie chart and drill down that works the way I want my report to work but I haven't been able to find what makes it work and mine doesn't.
Another question I have is regarding groups in a specified order. I have a field called category. If I group on that field to show the number of calls in a given category everything works fine. However there are calls where a category wasn't selected. I want to display all calls that have no category as "no category specified". I can do that if I choose specified order and list all the categories in the order I want them to appear. However if additional categories are added to the database and I would have to know what they were and include them in my specified order. What I'd like to be able to do is lump all calls with no category specified together and have all the other calls go in their respective groups. I'm not sure if this can be done or not.

Thanks for any help

In response to your first question:

Drill down from a chart is enabled whenyou group on the same field that the chart is based on. That is, if your chart is based on "region" (one slice per region) then your report must be grouped on "region". Then you can drill down.

Howard Hammerman,
Crystal Training and Crystal Material
On-site and public classes
Low-cost telephone/email support
FREE independent Crystal newsletter
howard@hammerman.com
800-783-2269

Thanks...I figured out the answer to my first question. I was basing the chart on the group value but I had selected it both in the advanced section and the grouping section of the chart.

I'm still trying to figure out the answer to my second question.

You could try grouping on a formula for category instead of using Specified Order.

@Category
Code:
If IsNull({YourTable.Category}) or Trim({YourTable.Category}) = ""
then "ZZ-No Category Specified"
else
If {YourTable.Category} = YourFirstValue then "01-" & {YourTable.Category}
else
If {YourTable.Category} = Your2ndValue then "02-" & {YourTable.Category}
else
If {YourTable.Category} = Your3rdValue then "3-" & {YourTable.Category}
else . . . you get the idea
Group on this formula in Ascending order. Customize the Group Name field to remove the first 3 characters of the formula.

Bob Suruncle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back