Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 profiles for the same user...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tahoe2

IS-IT--Management
Dec 30, 2002
US
Hi. While perusing the c:\Documents and Settings folder on our W2k member server (in an NT 4.0 SP6a environment) I noticed that several users have 2 profiles. One is named <username> and the other one is named <username>.<domain> and I remember reading something about this, but cannot find anything.
Anyone have the answer?

Corie

There are several things that result in this that I know of.

1. The user logged in with a local user account with the same name as the domain account. This will almost always occur for the administrator. The local Administrator account logged in prior to joining the server to the domain so it created a profile called &quot;Administrator&quot;. After the server joined the domain the domain Administrator account is used to log in so because a folder called &quot;Administrator&quot; already exist for a different account it creates a profile folder called &quot;Administrator.domainname&quot;.

2. I see this happen quite a bit on applications servers running in TS application mode. If a user connects a profile is created (example domain user JohnDoe logs in the folder JohnDoe is created). If that profile somehow becomes orphaned on the server or the user connects a second time before logging off the server another profile folder is created for the new session (i.e. it will default to JohnDoe.domainname). If the user logs in again it will name the profile folder JohnDoe.domainname.001).

That's the reason why you see those folder names. Usually it does not indicate a problem. There are some cases where it may indicate a less than ideal configuration on a Terminal Server or Citrix MetaFrame server. Let me know if it is causing a issue and I may be able to explain more about what is going on.

Thanks! It is a MetaFrame 1.8 server, and there are 2 users who suddenly cannot print to the networked printer. Since I recently had a user with a corrupt profile, I wondered if that could be the problem with these two as well. Thats when I noticed the double profiles.
Back to the printer issue, they have local printers that get autocreated, and they are able to print to them. They just cannot print to the Networked Konica. I uninstalled it, tried to reinstall it but got a 'driver is corrupt, choose another printer' error, or a 'driver cannot be loaded, restart windows and try again' error.
I tested the drivers on a different machine, no problems.
Other users in the remote office are able to print to it.
However, anyone who logs into those machines cannot print to the network printer.
Now you know everything I know :).

Corie

A couple of questions:

1. Are you using roaming profiles?

2. Is the 'printer driver cannot be loaded' error message on the local client or when the user logs onto MetaFrame?

3. Have you either A. installed the Konica printer driver on the MetaFrame server or B. mapped the Konica printer driver to an NT 4.0 TSE compatible driver for that printer?

Yes to roaming profiles.
The error message is on the local client.
The driver was already installed on the Citrix server and I did not try to update it.

The error message on the local client indicates that the problem is with those machines. I would first troubleshoot that and verify you can print successfully from the local client (printer test page, word docs, etc...). You may need to contact the printer manufacturer's support line if the driver they supplied isn't working.

Make sure you can print to the Konica printer from the MetaFrame server as an administrator. This will indicate that the printer driver is working correctly from there. If it does not work you may still be able to print to the printer from ICA sessions by mapping the client driver to something like an HP LaserJet 4. If the printer driver does work on the Windows 2000 server you probably won't have much trouble printing from ICA sessions once the printer is working locally on the client machines.

Hope that helps!

The username folder is used when you choose to log on to the machine locally. The username.domain folder is used when you log on to the domain.

You should also check the permissions on the printers to make sure the users who can't print do, infact, have print permissions. Also, if the driver is corrupt and needs to be reloaded, they need permissions to add printers for those files to reload... i.e. printer admin rights.

It is possible that the driver's you're using need to be &quot;installed&quot; on the TS server... Users do not have rights to install drivers.

Connect to this printer as Administrator first make sure it prints, logout, then login as one of the users and test the printer again...

I don't know much about Citrix but you could try to remove/reinstall the printer driver by going to the Start | Settings | Printers | File | Server properties | Drivers tab and removing the driver (may require a reboot to clear up some bad drivers...)

Redfox

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried them all, with no success. The tech was here to replace the HD in a different Konica 7020, and he mentioned that the port must be set at 10001. Unfortunately, he got an emergency call and left before he could explain further, and I have no idea what he's talking about. Well, I have SOME idea ;), but not how to set the port. Anyone?

Corie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back