Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 PCs, Different DSL Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

maurella

Technical User
Mar 12, 2002
US
I have 2 laptops and one has mediocre performance with DSL. I have compared them by swapping cables, which did not change the performance, and doing a transfer test between each of them copying from a linux share. On the house side of the DSL, performance is equivalent. That is, the time it takes to copy the same thing from a third device on the same side of the DSL is the same. It seems that only the performance through the DSL is different. So, I assume the home network is not a problem, and I also assume that the real performance of the slow pc's network IO is OK. I also tried a wireless pccard on the slow laptop, and the performance was also mediocre. This leads me to believe that it is something in the laptop, and is not in the network cards, home network or the DSL modem. Anyone have any tips here?

Thanks,

On the mediocre performing laptop, I'd suggest you ensure your security software is up-to-date and a scan be initiated to remove any possible infections.

I have gotten the laptop to work OK.

One of these two things did the trick:

Based on another thread here, I installed Spy-bot and ran it. Mostly cookies were up; maybe 3 registry settings and one dll.

This is probably what did it: I unchecked the TCP/IP protocol on my network device, rebooted, rechecked it and rebooted again.

Glad you got that laptop working for you. It's recommended that you install a second anti-spyware software like Lavasoft's Ad-Aware which is free for personal use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back