Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 PC Home Network Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

etrain

Programmer
Aug 3, 2001
US
I have 2 PCs with XP Pro. I simply want to connect the PCs without spending the money on a router. Can this be done by running a network cable from one to other? At this point all I want to be able to do is share files and printers between the two plus I want to set up so I can play multiplayer games between the 2 on my own home network.

I am more a software and db guy so this networking stuff I do not completely understand.

thanks

Remember the Past, Plan for the Future, yet Live in the Present for tomorrow may never come.
-etrain

To just network two pc's you don't need a router.

A router is a device that allows connection to an external connection like ADSL etc.

To network two or more pc's all you need is a hub/switch which should be cheaper than a router.

But as you only have two machines the cross over network cable will work fine.

---
Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens.

the easiest way is to connect the two machines via cat 5 cable from NIC to NIC and use the Network Wizard to share files, printer, and internet connection.

Seems simple enough and I used the Network Wizrd to do that but which connection method do I chose? At this point I just want to connect the PCs with no internet access. I only have network cards with one connection. So which one do I chose? I chose the last in the selection list and then I connected the PCs via the crossover cable. I used the same workgroup name but the PCs do not see each. What else am I doing wrong or not doing?

Remember the Past, Plan for the Future, yet Live in the Present for tomorrow may never come.
-etrain

make sure you have your firewalls truned off. Firewalls help keep your computer cloaked from other computers.

-Snoopy

You need to assign a unique IP address and a common subnet mask to each. Try using 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 for IP addresses, and 255.255.255.0 subnet mask for both.

When you use the network wizard, the IP's are already assigned. Unless you choose to do it all manually.

-Snoopy

if you set it up as i mentioned make sure you select (for the Second PC) that it connects to the internet thru another machine on the network.

make sure you enable ICS on tboth machines.

I only have network cards with one connection"

What do you mean by this comment? Do both machines have a Network Card installed?

If you do have the correct hardware setup for a small LAN, then those links I posted earlier truly are really helpful and recommended.

You just need a network card with one available port installed on each computer. Connect the Crossover cable and then use the Network Wizard. After the wizard runs. See if you can see both computers on the network. If not check you firewall, they should be turned off.

Good luck,

-Snoopy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back