Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 password related questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbezzina

MIS
May 4, 2004
MT
Hi, I am using Win XP Pro and I have the following 2 questions:

a) how can I bypass the password screen when Windows boots up?

b) how do I turn on an off the auto save password option. I also need to know where these are saved.

Thanks

a) Are there multiple users on this machine? Is it a member of a domain? What 'password screen' do you see - the one with the icons for each user or the plain (classic) logon dialog?

b) Please clarify what this is in reference to - Internet Explorer on web sites? or something else.

281660 - Behavior of Stored User Names and Passwords

282866 - How to automatically log on to a user account in Windows XP

315231 - How to turn on automatic logon in Windows XP

XP Home, Eliminate User Login requirement?
thread779-880540

hi smah

I have 2 computer networked. On one I see the icon login on the other the classic type (although on both I do not need to enter a password)

I am not using a domain, I'm using DHCP to network these two Pc's

b) Yes, while browsing usually.

Thanks

a) There are various ways of setting an auto login, however the easiest would be to download TweakUI from microsoft. downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

b) To turn off the password saving option in IE click on Tools > Internet Options > Content Tab > Auto Complete Button.

Untick the Save User Names and Passwords box and click the clear passwords button.

The link linney provided gives a good explaination of the behaviour.

Greg Palmer
Free Software for Adminstrators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back