Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 Outer Joins - Is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireGeek21

Technical User
Dec 12, 2007
US
I am working on a report that is requiring me to do 2 different outer joins. Is this possible? If so, I may be missing something (hopefully not too obvious).

As a test report, I have the 3 standard tables PERSONAL_DATA (P), JOB (J), and EMPLOYMENT (E). All are properly linked.

Outer Join #1 is to show the Supervisor’s name. I am doing an outer join with a second PERSONAL_DATA (S) table. The link is E.SUPERVISOR_ID* = S.EMPLID. All seems to be working just fine. The alternative to this is removing the PERSONAL_DATA (S) table and adding the following derived field (which also works just fine):

NVL((SELECT S.NAME
FROM PS_PERSONAL_DATA S
WHERE S.EMPLID = E.SUPERVISOR_ID), ‘’)

Outer Join #2 is to show the Reviewer’s name (along with the Supervisor’s name). I am looking at data in PS_EMP_REVIEW_RVWR table. Somehow I need to connect the REVIEWER_ID with another NAME field in the PERSONAL_DATA table.

All attempts to add this second outer join leads me to no data, just column headings.

Any thoughts??? I suspect it cannot be done – something tells me I heard somewhere that you can’t do multiple outer joins. Now I am looking for hope… a miracle?

Can't you add a 3rd PERSONAL_DATA table and link
PS_EMP_REVIEW_RVWR.REVIEWER_ID to PS_PERSONAL_DATA(3).EMPLID

This is just a guess right now - let me know if it works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back