Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 NICS, WHICH ONE

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigC666

IS-IT--Management
Mar 20, 2002
MX
i'm trying to use either ICS or RRAS don't care which one on a small net. have two NICS one has dhcp enabled one does not which one should i use to be local and which one to go to the internet.

lost in the winzone
winn

Static IP to internal address, DHCP CLIENT to the WAN.

Alex

ICS will configure this for you...

In the IP settings area for the NIC connected to the ISP, configure this one for ICS. The other NIC will automatically be set to DHCP using 192.168.0.1 as the IP address.

192.168.0.x will be your internal network. Connect this nic to a hub or switch for your interal network.

-hope this helps. Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

I suggest you use RRAS and not ICS.. Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

In a small network you are much better off using ICS... this way you won't have to worry about NATing (Network Address Translation). It really depends on you knowledge level and what administrative overhead you want.

ICS is "plug and play"...it the easiest to configure. However, it forces your internal network subnet to 192.168.0.x If this IP scheme does not work for you, then you MUST use RRAS. (RRAS isn't all that hard either..it just take a little more configuration.)

Both will work...it's your choice. Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back