Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 NICs, 2 vlans, 1 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

six3077

Technical User
Nov 11, 2003
CA
Having the following issue:

Attempting to connect nics on a dell 1950 to seperate vlans.

Current: 1st NIC is statically assigned 192.168.10.x /24 address, gateway is on same range. Connected to vlan1

(disabled)2nd Nic statically assigned address in 192.168.0.x /24
gateway is on same range. Connect to vlan2

When 2nd NIC is enabled, the server stop responding altogether. Loopback work but reaching either gateway does not.

This has worked on 4 other identical servers with the exact same O/S version, same NICs, same NIC drivers, same service packs.

Any ideas what the issue could be?
Thanks

You should not have more than one default gateway on the server, you will have to add a static route to route the traffic for the 2nd NIC

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

In addition to what The Lad said, I have seen issues accessing the server via TS when there is an overlap in IP Subnets on two different NICS (such as your case). I would limit the range of IPs on each interface based on the subnet mask so there is no overlap

itsp1965, where is a overlap here?
2 subnets 192.168.10.x /24 and 192.168.0.x /24

M. Knorr

MCSE, MCTS, MCSA, CCNA

Thanks for the replies.

The 2 servers are identical in builds and function.

TheLad, There was no problem on the 1st server having a different gateway on each NIC.

I should have checked this before, but I think I found the problem: RRAS

When confirming Windows firewall was not on by mistake, I received the following message:
Windows Fireall cannot run because another program or server is running that might use the network address translation component (Ipnat.sys)

Now I just need to find out who configured this and why.

Thanks again for the replies. I will add to this thread if this is not the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back