Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 Nic cards on Win2k server

Status
Not open for further replies.

clik

IS-IT--Management
Apr 14, 2001
US
I have two nic cards on my win2k server, the ip's supplied by my ISP e.g 10.0.0.1 to 6 and the other for my internal DHCP 192.168.0.1 to 50. The user can login and see the network, map drives everything except get out to the internet, the server can get out as the cisco router is connected to it. We only have 3 ip addresses from the isp, hence I set up the other nic card, is there anyway to bridge the nic cards or bind them so the user can browse the net?

Thanks

You need to enable the routing (IP forwarding) this will allow the "bridging" between the two NICs and look at adding a proxy server package to the server to provide some bells and whistles (think users, think accountability, think logfiles, think ass-covering).

Also as this is going to be your net access point you will want to look into security implications i.e. add a firewall package to the server.

I'm not too clear as to how your Cisco fits in, if it's web-side you may want to look at replacing it with a firewall instead of using the server to run one. If it is internal i.e. between the clients and the server and the clients can see the server fine, you probably won't have to do anything there. Ian

"IF" is not a word it's a way of life

Thanks, I configured the NAT service after reading that it would allow a private network to connect to a public network for access to the internet. I still can't get out to the internet!
The ip forwarding is turned on, the clients get the correct ip from the DHCP server, and also the right gateway (the second nic card), but no internet.

The cisco ( I purchased the cisco firewall software, as it is to the webside) is the router/modem to the ISP, which in turn is connected to the win2k server. The second nic card (private network) is connected to a (linksys)switch which in turn has all the computers connected to it.
Hope you have more suggestions.

Raj

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back