Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 nic cards in win2k server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

richclever

IS-IT--Management
Oct 5, 2000
FR
I have a win2k server with 2 nic cards (1 dlink and 1 usb connection). I can only see the machines with the usb link when it is connected, and the other machines when the usb is disconnected. I am using ip addresses of 192.168.0.-- for all machines with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

Any ideas how I can see all machines, is it something to do with routing?

Rich

Two Nic cards in one machine would require two different networks.

192.168.0.X

192.168.1.X

You would need two hubs one for each network.

What are you trying to do ?? Mark
mark@acsconsult.com

if you want to set up browsing over 2 subnets, then you will probably need WINS, or make sure your DNS is working well...
Also, you might have to unbind the WINS from one of the NIC's (so you'll have only one IP address registered in Netbios/Wins) ---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be
*:->* Did this post help? Click below to let me know !

You can also set up routing between the two subnets, either statically or using RIP.

Why not set up RRAS and configure RIP. Since you only have two subnets you probably don't even have to do that. Just add static routes. Make sure your clients are configured with the correct gateway IP.

J

I know this thread is old, but I was having trouble setting up dual Win2k Adv Servers with a dedicated network card just for the two to talk to each other. Setting one on 192.168.0.x and the other on 192.168.1.x fixed it, since the subnet masks filter them from each other.

Gotta love that search feature. Thanks Mark!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back