Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 new drives but still amber lights Proliant 5500

Status
Not open for further replies.

martouff

IS-IT--Management
Sep 16, 2004
GB
I've installed 2 new drives into the existing caddies but still not detected by the controller and still showing amber lights.
Deleted the array config, rebuilt but could not assign these 2 drives.
Would it be a fair assumption to think that the caddies are faulty - they show the same condition when inserted into other bays - so I know that the 'counters' should have been reset?
Any help or advice appreciated.
Many thanks

Have you tried firmware upgrading the drives?

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"

Do you mean for the controller or the drives themselves?

If Drives, how as I haven't seen anything to u/g the drive firmware?

Thanks

I think you more or less need to use drives from Compaq/HP to ensure firmware compatability.

Thanks to all for your input - but issues resolved now.

It's true what others have said here - with a Smartstart CD it's a breeze.

I've got a mix of IBM (new replacements) and Compaq drives in the array.
After running erase and rebuild on the array controller - all drives work perfectly!
I was following a link to a manual smartstart process I found on this forum - but even with the correct version of the erase and Array config utility 2.90A for a 3200 controller - it still wouldn't work properly.
All because I couldn't wait for HP to send the CD's out.... but still think older smartstart versions should be available for download (grrrr).
Now all is a breeze!

Thanks guys

Compaq/HP will not allow the older versions of Smartstart for download due to contractual issues with Microsoft. The older Smartstarts were written using an MS backend and rumour had it that Compaq had to give MS $5 for every Smartstart CD distributed...

"It's true, its damn true!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back